- Tuesdays & Thursdays
- Please note, this class meets twice per week.
- This course is open to 9th - 12th grade students.
- This course is also open to advanced 8th graders, but please
check with your umbrella school for acceptance of credit prior
to 9th grade.
Course Texts: (provided via lab fee)
- Somos Curriculum Level 1 1-6 by Comprehensible Classroom (Martina Bex)
- Garbanzo Subscription - online reading lessons
- Señor Wooly – Songs, Video, Online Activities
- Beginner Level Spanish Novel for Language Learners
This is a Comprehension-Based Spanish class that will ultimately provide a better understanding of the Hispanic speaking culture,
as well as develop strategies for learning the Spanish language through listening, reading, speaking, and writing exercises.
My job is to provide comprehensible input in Spanish so students hear enough repetitions
to acquire the language and become more proficient in communicating.
Throughout the year we will be memorizing several Bible passages that share the gospel message.
We will also have class projects, cultural presentations, and use music, videos,
and games to make learning Spanish fun and more meaningful.
Course Class Time:
- This may be the first class that students take where they experience learning another language,
as well as experience working in groups and public speaking.
- Students will learn how to listen and understand what is being communicated in Spanish.
We will focus on High Frequency vocabulary relevant to daily life.
- Students will also engage in comprehension practice through group dialogue and interaction.
- Grammar will be taught in contextualized conversation and not in an isolated, explicit way.
As the majority of our practice with speaking Spanish will happen in the classroom,
students are expected to participate actively every day and have homework assignments completed.
Course Homework Requirements:
- Students will have homework daily and will need to dedicate sufficient time to complete all assignments.
- Please plan for 45-60 minutes 3x per week.
- Some assignments will need to be completed online.
(Garbanzo, Señor Wooly, Quizlet, Duolingo)
- Successfully helping your child learn Spanish will have to be a team effort!
- 25% reading comprehension
- 25% listening comprehension
- 15% writing performance
- 10% speaking performance
- 5% formative assessment
- 20% homework & country project
- There will be opportunities for Extra Credit
- Videos and resources will be posted on Schoology to supplement
the material we are covering in class.
- Students will need to be able to log into their accounts for Garbanzo,
Señor Wooly, Quizlet and Duolingo to complete assignments.
- Cell phone use in class is only permitted when instructed by the tutor.
(Quizlet Live game, SpanishDict, Wordreference, etc.)
- While a cell phone is not required, the above apps should be installed
for classroom use for those that do bring a phone.
- English/Spanish dictionary (book format optional) – McKay’s has them for under $1
(WordReference or SpanishDict are good online options)
- Spanish or Bilingual Bible (can be online or an app)
- NVI version recommended
- lined notebook paper
- 1" binder with 8 dividers