- This course is offered on Thursdays.
- Students need to have had basic Language Arts coursework in elementary school.
- Please contact the tutor with any questions.
- Easy Grammar, Grade 6, Student Workbook
- unabridged copy of novel (TBA)
- various short stories and poetry (supplied by tutor)
This course will integrate the key disciplines of English—literature, composition, and grammar.
The more our grammar improves, the greater clarity our writing gains.
As we write and talk about literary texts, our good thinking about literature
leads to more nuanced and interesting essay topics.
Observing and practicing sound sentence structure elevates our speech and composition.
This course will help students see these skills, not in isolation,
but as complementary parts of their English studies.
Emphasis will be placed on the basics of writing and the writing process.
The course will begin with fine-tuning the students’ paragraph-writing skills and will move to
the development of complete, well-developed essays.
Composition modes will include creative, expository, and analytical writing.
Responses to be literature will be varied, creative, and fun.
Course Class Time:
- Class time will be used to teach writing strategies, to workshop student writing or review
and/or teach grammatical concepts, and to discuss and respond to literature.
Course Homework Requirements:
- Each week’s work will include some writing, some grammar work, and some reading.
- A course calendar will be posted at the beginning of each quarter.
- Additional instructions for some assignments will be shared in class.
- The amount of time spent on English homework each day will vary, depending on the current assignment(s),
as well as from student to student, but students can expect to spend an average of 2-4 hours per week on English.
- journal in-class checks: 20pts
- quarterly journal submission: 200pts
- grammar in-class checks: 20pts
- grammar tests: 100pts
- vocabulary tests: 100pts
- targeted writing skill work: 50pts
- texts listed above
- composition book
- colored pencils
- pens, pencils, highlighters
- loose-leaf, lined paper