Contact | About Me:
- This course is offered on Thursdays.
- Cooking A, B, and C are identical courses offered in different periods.
- While this course is open to all students, it can also count as a credit for high school students.
(Subject to your umbrella requirements.)
- none required
Topics covered include:
- Safe Food Handling
- Cooking Techniques
- Baking Confidence
- Use of Different Tools
- Knife Skills
- Exploring Spices
- Understanding of Leavening Agents
- Reading Recipes
- Building Ingredient Lists
- Constructing a Balanced Meal
Examples of meals/foods made in class may include:
- Macaroni & Cheese
- How to prepare chicken
- Pasties/Hot Pockets
- Grilling Steak & Chicken
- Cooking and baking using substitute ingredients either for dietary needs or because
you don't have an ingredient in your cupboard will be an emphasis in this course.
- All in class recipes will be made gluten free,
however, recipes will include "all purpose flour" measurements for at home use.
Course Class Time:
- Introduction to the recipe and ingredients will be the first 5-10 minutes of class, depending on the complexity of the dish.
- Next will be explanation and demonstration of new skills.
- The majority of the class will be students practicing new skills and getting comfortable with the ingredients.
Course Homework Requirements:
- The amount of weekly homework is dependent on how far the parent wants their student to take their new skills.
More at home practice will result in a more confident "home chef".
The only graded homework, however, will be the quarterly projects due at the end of each quarter.
Grades are based on:
- personal conduct and proper safety while using equipment
- 75% participation
- 25% quarterly projects
- Closed-toe shoes are required.
- For home use:
- kitchen scale (Please purchase this model.)
- complete set of measuring cups
- complete set of measuring spoons
- 1/2" binder
- page protectors
- To keep at tutorial and be returned at the end of the year: