- This class is offered on Thursdays.
- This class is open for students in 8th -12th grades who have an interest in sewing.
Introduction to Fashion & Sewing will cover the basics of sewing and an introduction to fashion- including finding out your color palette, as well as your body type and which clothes are most flattering for your body type. We will learn and practice different sewing techniques (sewing machine stitches, buttons, hand stitching), reading commercial patterns, and minor alterations to clothing.
By the end of the course students will have created a wide variety of items such as a pot holder, soup bowl holder, Christmas ornament, zippered pouch, shoe bag, drawstring backpack, and a few other challenging projects.
The final two projects are an apron and a pair of pajama shorts where the students will learn to use and understand a pattern. Each item is designed to learn a new technique or practice an existing technique we have been working on. We will also hand-stitch, as well as applique a pillow.
We will create two clothing pieces made from commercial patterns and alter clothing to make it fit correctly. The goal of this class is to teach important sewing techniques through the making of fun and enjoyable projects.
Contact the tutor for current syllabus.
- 80% class projects
- 10% quizzes
- 10% participation
- Grading will be based on finished class projects, presentations and quizzes.
- Students will receive information explaining the grading criteria for each project and will receive a grade
and written comments for each completed project.
- Students can revise and resubmit a graded project for a higher grade with no penalty.
- This must be done by the next week of class.
- Projects will be accepted late, however, students cannot receive full credit for a late project.
- portable sewing machine- fee free to contact the tutor for assistance in choosing a machine
- carrying case or carrying tote for sewing machine (optional, but helpful)
- sewing kit & something to bring these items to class in
- pins & magnetic pin "cushion"
- #12 needles that fit your machine
- good quality fabric scissors
- white, red, and black spools of thread
- 3-4 other colors of thread (we will discuss after school starts)
- other items (measuring tape, sewing gauge, marking chalk, seam ripper, and hoop for hand sewing) provided with lab fee
Lab Fee Information:
- The $50 lab fee will be used to purchase all material needed for projects, except for the patterns and material for the two projects we will be doing at the end of the year. If there is extra lab money, it will be used to purchase one of the patterns. (I work hard to buy all the fabric and supplies on sale to stretch the lab fee as far as possible.)