Introduction to Cooking & Baking
- This course is offered on Tuesdays.
- Cooking A & B are identical courses offered in two different periods.
- While this course is open to all students, it can also count as a credit for high school students.
(Subject to your umbrella requirements.)
- none required
Topics covered include:
- Safe Food Handling
- Cooking Techniques
- Baking Confidence
- Use of Different Tools
- Knife Skills
- Exploring Spices
- Understanding of Leavening Agents
- Reading Recipes
- Building Ingredient Lists
- Constructing a Balanced Meal
- Experiencing Cuisine from Different Countries
Course Class Time:
- Introduction to the recipe and ingredients will be the first 5-10 minutes of class, depending on the complexity of the dish.
- Next will be explanation and demonstration of new skills.
- The majority of the class will be students practicing new skills and getting comfortable with the ingredients.
Examples of meals/foods made in class may include:
Course Homework Requirements:
Grades are based on:
- personal conduct and proper safety while using equipment
- 50% participation
- 25% homework
- 25% quarterly projects
- Closed-toe shoes are encouraged.
- For home use:
- kitchen scale (Please purchase this model.)
- complete set of measuring cups
- complete set of measuring spoons
- 1/2" binder
- page protectors
- To keep at tutorial and be returned at the end of the year: