This course is offered on Tuesdays.
Intro to Fashion and Sewing A & B are identical courses offered in two different periods.
Introduction to Fashion & Sewing will cover the basics of sewing and an introduction to
fashion and its history. We will learn and practice the different sewing techniques, textile
basics, reading commercial patterns, and minor alterations.
By the end of the course students will have created a textile swatch book,
sewing examples book, a hand-stitch sampler, a small bag, and two clothing
pieces made from commercial patterns.
Tentative Syllabus: (subject to change)
1. Introduction to the Fashion Industry
2. History of Fashion
5. Textile Swatch Book Activity
6. Fabric Dye Experiments
7. Understanding your machine
8. Stitches Project
9. Seams Project
13. Buttons / Buttonholes
14. Embroidery Heart Sampler Project
15. Hand stitching
16. Hand stitching
18. Decorative Techniques (ruffles, etc.)
19. Decorative Techniques
20. Bag Project - Sewing Day
21. Bag Project - Sewing Day
22. Understanding Patterns
23. Pants Project - Preparing to Sew
24. Pants Project - Sewing Day
25. Pants Project - Sewing Day
26. Pants Project - Sewing Day
27. Shirt Project - Preparing to Sew
28. Shirt Project - Sewing Day
29. Shirt Project - Sewing Day
*Days you will need your sewing machine
80% class projects
10% quizzes / presentations
Students will receive a detailed rubric explaining the grading criteria for each project
before the course begins, and will receive a grade and written online comments for
each completed project via Schoology.
Grading will be based on finished class projects, portfolio (finished class projects into
a binder), and presentations/quizzes.
Students can revise and resubmit a graded project for a higher grade with no penalty.
This must be done by the next week of class.
Projects will be accepted late, however, students cannot receive full credit for a late
project. Late projects must be handed in by the end of that quarter.