- This course is offered on Thursdays.
- Students need to have had basic Language Arts coursework in elementary school.
- Please contact the tutor with any questions.
- Write Source Student Edition Hardcover Grade 6 2012
- Easy Grammar Grade 6
- The Sign of the Beaver -by Elizabeth George Speare
- The Borrowers -by Mary Norton
This course will integrate the key disciplines of English—literature, composition, and grammar.
We will focus on the basics of writing and the writing process through a variety of compositions,
with emphasis moving from strong sentences construction to paragraph construction.
Regular written responses to our reading will be varied and fun,
and our attention to grammar will help us become better writers.
The books that we read through will provide food for thought, discussion, and writing,
in addition to exposing us to different styles and techniques.
- Class time will include discussions about the current reading,
grammar instruction and review, and writing instruction.
- Each week’s work will include some writing, some grammar work, and some reading.
- A course calendar will be posted at the beginning of each quarter.
- Additional instructions for some assignments will be shared in class.
- The amount of time spent on English homework each day will vary, depending on the current assignment(s),
as well as from student to student, but students can expect to spend an average of 2-4 hours per week on English.
- 30% writing
- 30% grammar
- 30% literature
- 10% class participation
- There will be extra credit opportunities throughout the year.
- texts listed above
- composition book
- pens, pencils, highlighters
- binder w. loose-leaf notebook paper